Training Leaders in Biomedical Research
The Penn State Biomedical Sciences (BMS) PhD Program, with its options in Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Translational Therapeutics, Cellular and Integrative Physiology, and Virology and Immunology, is a nationally and internationally recognized interdisciplinary graduate program that provides students curricular and research training with a unique focus on human health and disease.
Students receive rigorous training that provides the skills necessary to be leaders in biomedical research and other endeavors including business, education, law, journalism, and public policy.
About the Program
Students in the BMS Graduate Program have the ability to choose among four curricular tracks:
- Biomedical Sciences
- Option in Biochemistry & Molecular Genetics
- Option in Translational Therapeutics
- Option in Cellular and Integrative Physiology
- Option in Virology & Immunology
The program offers extensive flexibility to tailor curriculum and dissertation research to each individual student’s interests.
With the research emphasis of the program, students also participate in research rotations in at least three laboratories during the first year before choosing the laboratory for their dissertation research.
Recent Publications by Students
- Targeting IDH1 as a pro-senescent therapy in high-grade serous ovarian cancer.Dahl ES, Buj R, Leon KE, Newell JM, Imamura Y, Bitler BG, Snyder NW, Aird KM. Mol Cancer Res 2019 May 20. pii: molcanres.1233.2018 [Epub ahead of print]
- Pediatrics.Chern JJ, Bollo RJ, Governale LS, Halvorson KG, Hooten K, Kulkarni AV, Lo W, Mathieu F, Mrowczynski O, Piatt J, Rizk E, Thompson E. Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown) 2019 May 17. pii: opz078 [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Enhanced default mode connectivity predicts metacognitive accuracy in traumatic brain injury.Grossner EC, Bernier RA, Brenner EK, Chiou KS, Hong J, Hillary FG. Neuropsychology 2019 May 16 [Epub ahead of print]
- Differential requirements for gE, gI, and UL16 among HSV-1 syncytial variants suggest unique modes of dysregulating the mechanism of cell-to-cell spread.Carmichael JC, Wills JW. J Virol 2019 May 15. pii: JVI.00494-19 [Epub ahead of print]
More About Penn State College of Medicine
What's New in Biomedical Sciences
Penn State College of Medicine strives to create the best culture of respect and inclusion for our students. A number of programs, services and facilities are available.
- Cognitive Skills Program
- Disability Services
- Harrell Health Sciences Library
- Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Office for a Respectful Learning Environment
- Simulation Center
- Student Health
- Student Mental Health and Counseling
Penn State College of Medicine offers housing in its University Manor East or University Manor West apartments to full-time students, residents, postdoctoral scholars and visiting scholars.
Life in Hershey, PA
Penn State College of Medicine is located in Hershey, Pa., home of HersheyPark, a family theme park, and The Hershey Co., one of the largest chocolate manufacturers in the world. It's also home to diverse and delicious dining experiences, sports, concerts and entertainment.