How Do I Apply to the MD/MPH Program?
Applicants to Penn State College of Medicine’s MD/MPH Program must be current Penn State medical students who:
- Have completed at least one year of the MD program
- Have not yet completed the third year of medical school
- Are in good academic standing
Ideal candidates will have a specific interest in community health, global health or population health.
What Students Are Saying
From a program graduate:
"I ultimately decided to pursue an MD/MPH because I thought that it would be the best thing for my future patients. I wanted to complete both degrees at Penn State not only because I knew that I would get an excellent education, but also because the relatively small size of the program means that the department is tight-knit, and I was able to build relationships with faculty members in ways that would have been impossible at a larger program. Doing my MPH in Hershey also meant that those relationships could, and have, continued into my final year of medical school."
About the Application Process
The MD/MPH joint degree program utilizes the Penn State Graduate Application System. Penn State medical students must submit an MPH application in the Penn State Graduate Application System to be considered for admission to the MD/MPH program.
- MD/MPH application opens October 1.
- Application deadline is January 15.
- Applicants are notified of admissions decision by March 1.
- Offers must be accepted by April 15.
Admission to the MD/MPH joint degree program is competitive and granted jointly by the Penn State MPH Program and the Graduate School at Penn State. Before beginning your Penn State MPH application, please review the Graduate School’s admissions requirements.
In addition to the Graduate School’s requirements, the MD/MPH online application must also include:
- Statement of purpose
- Resume or CV
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (if offered admission, official transcripts will be requested)
- Two letters of recommendation
- One letter from the Penn State College of Medicine Registrar stating that the applicant is in good academic standing in the Penn State MD Program
- $65 application fee
Enrollment Process Details
On or after October 1, begin your graduate school application. Select "Login with Existing Account" and enter your Penn State Access Account ID and password, then select the following fall as your semester of admission.
Next to Enrollment Type, choose "Degree Admission."
When asked "Have you ever taken undergraduate or graduate courses at Penn State?", if you have only taken PSU courses as a medical student, choose "No, I have not." If you have taken PSU courses as an undergraduate and then as a medical student, choose "Yes, as an undergraduate student."
Under the heading "Foreign Student, Integrated, or Joint Degree Programs," check the box next to "I am applying to an Integrated Undergraduate/Graduate (IUG) program, or joint degree program." In the field below, enter MD/MPH.