Biomedical Sciences PhD - How to Apply
Biomedical Sciences PhD Landing Hero with Page Title
Biomedical Sciences PhD How to Apply H2 Code
How Do I Apply to the Biomedical Sciences PhD Program?
Biomedical Sciences PhD Application Page Intro Row Copy with CTA
Penn State College of Medicine’s Biomedical Sciences PhD Program follows the application process for The Graduate School at Penn State.
All students must submit an application through The Graduate School.
Before applying, please be sure to read The Graduate School's admission requirements.
Individuals having a baccalaureate (or higher) degree in science-related majors from a United States institution of higher learning, or an equivalent degree from a foreign institution of higher education, such as biology, biochemistry, biomedical sciences, biotechnology, chemistry, physiology or microbiology, may apply for admission to the Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program.
Individuals with a non-biomedical sciences background may also apply, but acceptance into the program will depend significantly on the applicant’s specific background and statement of purpose for pursuing advanced study in biomedical sciences. An applicant’s undergraduate background must, at minimum, include biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, and molecular biology or genetics.
Biomedical Sciences PhD How to Apply Basic Article
The Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program does not request or use GRE scores in our admissions process.
To complete your application through The Graduate School, please note the following:
- Campus: Select "Hershey Med Ctr."
- Major: Select "Biomedical Sciences."
- Option: If appropriate, select the option of most interest to you. Choosing an option or "None" does not commit an applicant to a specific option, nor does it affect evaluation of your application.
- Degree: Select "Doctor of Philosophy (PHD)."
A complete application through The Graduate School should include:
- Completed online application
- Payment of the $65 application fee
- Copies of official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended, uploaded by the student (do not mail official transcripts unless specifically requested to do so)
- International applicants only: Please submit an unofficial course-by-course evaluation from a NACES member for all degrees completed outside of the United States.
- 3 letters of recommendation, uploaded through online application system by person writing the reference
- TOEFL score (if applicable) - School Code 2660 - sent directly from the testing agency
- Personal statement
The BMS admissions committee will use this statement to learn about you as an individual, your background, professional experiences and goals, and to determine whether the program is a good fit for you. Describe your personal and professional experiences that motivate your aspiration to pursue a graduate career in biomedical sciences. If applicable, describe research experiences including a brief description of research questions, methodologies, and outcomes. Include your research interests, professional goals and describe how the BMS program at Penn State College of Medicine will help you achieve them (up to two pages).
- Resume or curriculum vitae
Formal applications for the doctoral program for domestic or international students must be received by Dec. 1 and all supporting documents, including all references letters, MUST be received by Dec. 5.
Admission to this program is for fall semester only.
Highly competitive applicants selected based on the materials in their completed application package are invited to interview with faculty members in the Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program. Interviews are conducted in January and February.
If you have questions about the Biomedical Sciences PhD program, please contact Kristin E. Smith, MS, Director of Graduate Admissions, at email@example.com.