Penn State Hershey Office of Faculty and Professional Development
The mission of the Office of Faculty and Professional Development is to support career and professional development across the academic continuum of the Penn State College of Medicine. A broad scope of programs are designed to benefit the whole academic community as well as to focus on the needs of particular groups.
The goals of the Office of Faculty and Professional Development are:
- To promote individual development and advancement through programs designed to build and expand professional skills and knowledge.
- To retain talented individuals within the College and Medical Center.
- To engender a culture of mentorship throughout the campus.
- To cultivate the next generation of academic leaders.
- To engage faculty, staff and students in outreach programs and public service.
- To reward and recognize faculty commitment to and excellence in education and outreach.
- To be a resource for professional development within the University and College.
- To create a national model for professional development programs within an academic health center.
- Gomez and Hafenstein awarded collaborative grant to study virus structures Esther Gomez, assistant professor of chemical engineering and biomedical engineering in Penn State’s College of Engineering, and Susan Hafenstein, associate professor of medicine and microbiology and immunology in Penn State’s College of Medicine, have been awarded one of two Grace Woodward Grants for Collaborative Research in Engineering and Medicine for the 2016-17 project period.More...
- Physicians help develop national treatment guidelines for pancreatic cancer Practice guidelines for physicians treating a wide range of diseases have become a frequently used, if not required tool, for every physician in daily medical practice.More...
- The Medical Minute: Disease causes tumors to form on nerve tissue Although neurofibromatosis (NF) is not commonly discussed, it affects more than 2 million people worldwide. According to the Children’s Tumor Foundation, NF is more common than cystic fibrosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and Huntington’s disease combined.More...
- Innovation Cafe is about connections and advancing ideas Innovation and music may not be an obvious connection, but it created perfect harmony at Penn State’s latest Innovation Cafe, a networking program organized by the Penn State College of Medicine’s Office of Technology Development.More...