Preparing for Careers in Public Health
The Penn State Master of Public Health (MPH) is a 42-credit degree program preparing students for meaningful careers in public health.
It offers flexible classroom and practice-based learning opportunities for full- and part-time students.
Choose From Four Tracks
Students can specialize in one of the following areas:
- Community and Behavioral Health
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Global Health
- Health Systems Organization and Policy
As part of the MPH program, every student participates in both an internship and a capstone experience designed to take their knowledge into the workplace.
About the Program
Students in the Master of Public Health (MPH) Program complete a series of core courses as well as electives in one of four specialty tracks:
- Community & Behavioral Health - Advanced instruction in health promotion and disease prevention.
- Epidemiology & Biostatistics - Advanced instruction in the quantitative sciences, with a focus on applied epidemiological methods and practice.
- Health Systems Organization & Policy - A focus on healthcare delivery models and systems, health economics, and applied policy.
- Global Health - A focus on building skills necessary to identify, interpret, and understand global health concepts, as well as, apply these skills on both the international and local stage.
Upcoming Events in PHS
- Update: Canceled or changed events due to COVID-19
Mar 11, 2020
- Webinar: Optimization of Behavioral and Biobehavioral Interventions
Apr 14, 2020
- Webinar: Resume and CV reviews for graduate students
Apr 17, 2020
- Spatial Regression Models
Apr 23, 2020
- 13th annual NIH Career Symposium
May 8, 2020
Global Health Opportunities
The Department of Public Health Sciences' Global Health Program gives students the option of pursuing the global health track as part of a graduate degree or obtaining a graduate certificate in global health. In addition, students can participate in the Global Health Exchange Program, which provides international opportunities to study public health in diverse settings.
These areas of focus reflect Penn State's broader commitment to improve overall health and well-being and to promote a global understanding through integrated programs in education, research and service.
Global Health Exchange Program
International fieldwork is a critical step for students to gain practical experience in global health.
These international field experiences can fulfill the program’s practicum requirement. While abroad, students engage with the local community to address identified local public health issues.
Students are also able to participate in a domestic global health internship to fulfill the practicum requirement.
As part of the Global Health Exchange Program, the Department of Public Health Sciences hosts a group of incoming health professional students from international partner sites for three weeks in the summer. The program features educational lectures by faculty, shadowing and observational learning, visits to regional and national public health organizations, and cultural exchange of public health topics with public health students.
A number of workshops on global health topics are offered, such as Writing for Health Policy and Advocacy. Additional opportunities will be added to the website as they become available.
More About Penn State College of Medicine
What's New in Public Health
Penn State College of Medicine strives to create the best culture of respect and inclusion for our students. A number of programs, services and facilities are available.
- Cognitive Skills Program
- Disability Services
- Harrell Health Sciences Library
- Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Office for a Respectful Learning Environment
- Simulation Center
- Student Health
- Student Mental Health and Counseling
Penn State College of Medicine offers housing in its University Manor East or University Manor West apartments to full-time students, residents, postdoctoral scholars and visiting scholars.
Life in Hershey, PA
Penn State College of Medicine is located in Hershey, Pa., home of HersheyPark, a family theme park, and The Hershey Co., one of the largest chocolate manufacturers in the world. It's also home to diverse and delicious dining experiences, sports, concerts and entertainment.