How Do I Apply to the Neuroscience PhD Program?
Penn State College of Medicine’s Neuroscience PhD Program follows the application process for The Graduate School at Penn State.
All students must submit an application through The Graduate School.
Before applying, please be sure to read The Graduate School's admission requirements.
To be considered for admission, you must have an appropriate academic background, including a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) during the last two years (junior/senior) of a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university.
Your degree should be in a biological, physical or behavioral science, and you should have taken courses in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Neuroscience courses are desirable but not essential. Research experience is an advantage.
Beginning for Fall 2020 admission, the Neuroscience Graduate Program no longer requires the submission of GRE scores.
To complete your application through The Graduate School, please note the following:
- Campus: Select "Hershey Med Ctr."
- Major: Select "Neuroscience."
- Degree: Select "Doctor of Philosophy (PHD)."
A complete application through The Graduate School should include:
- Completed online application
- Payment of the $65 application fee
- Copies of official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended, uploaded by the student (do not mail official transcripts unless specifically requested to do so)
- 3 letters of recommendation, uploaded through online application system by person writing the reference
- TOEFL score (if applicable) - School Code 2660 - sent directly from the testing agency
- Personal statement including your reasons for applying to the program, research interests, research experience (not including lab courses), and future goals
- Resume or curriculum vitae
Formal applications for the doctoral program for domestic or international students must be received by Dec. 15.
Admission to this program is for fall semester only.
Highly competitive applicants selected based on the materials in their completed application package are invited to interview with faculty members in the Neuroscience Graduate Program. Interviews will be conducted virtually in February.
Virtual interview dates
- Friday, Feb. 19, 2021
- Monday, Feb. 22, 2021