How Do I Apply to the MD/PhD Program?
To apply for Penn State College of Medicine’s MD/PhD Program, you’ll need to submit two applications:
- An application through AMCAS (choose “Combined Medical Degree/PhD” as the program choice)
- A secondary application for the College of Medicine
After you’ve submitted your AMCAS application, you’ll receive an email from Penn State with a link to the secondary application, to be completed and submitted online.
What are the Application Requirements?
To complete the AMCAS and secondary applications, you’ll need:
- $160 AMCAS application fee
- $90 secondary application fee
- Letters of recommendation to be submitted directly to AMCAS
- Letters of support for your secondary application
- Official transcript(s) from each school you attended after high school
- MCAT scores
- MD/PhD applicants for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle are not required to complete a CASPer test
- AMCAS application deadline is Nov. 15.
- Secondary applications must be completed by Dec. 15.
When are Interviews?
All completed applications are reviewed by MD/PhD program leadership and receive a thorough holistic review. Applicants judged to be most qualified for admission are invited for an interview. We invite students on an as-needed basis, so we recommend you submit your application early.
If you’re selected for an interview during the 2021-2022 academic cycle, you’ll be invited to attend the College of Medicine Virtually, on selected MD/PhD interview days. College interviews are carried out by faculty who are members of or affiliated with the MD/PhD Program.
Our goal during your virtual visit is to have you gain a better understanding of our program, campus, and the Hershey area. We’ll also learn more about your interest in obtaining both degrees and about your research experience.
Interviews will be two days in length:
- Sunday: You’ll have an opportunity in the afternoon/evening to meet virtually with current MD/PhD trainees.
- Monday: You’ll interview virtually with faculty, meet with program leadership, and take a virtual tour of the campus core facilities.
Interview dates for the 2021-2022 academic year will be:
- Oct. 4, 2021
- Nov. 1, 2021
- Dec. 13, 2021
- Jan. 3, 2022
When are Decisions Made?
Offers of admission to the program are made on a rolling basis. We normally admit seven to eight students per year.
Second Look Day
Second Look Day, open to applicants admitted into the MD/PhD Program, provides the opportunity to learn about student life in greater depth than was possible during the interview day.
You’ll have the chance to meet with faculty with whom you might be interested in doing research, get to know current students and explore housing options.
For the 2021-2022 academic cycle, we hope to have an opportunity to welcome accepted applicants to Hershey, Pa., at Penn State College of Medicine. Due to current safety and travel restrictions in place as a result of the pandemic, we look forward to creating future opportunities for accepted applicant engagement and connection.
If you have questions about the MD/PhD Program, please contact us at 717-531-1188 or email@example.com.