Integrating Medical Practice and Public Health
The Penn State Master of Public Health (MPH) program offers a five-year MD/MPH joint degree program for medical students enrolled at Penn State College of Medicine.
The MD/MPH degree is ideal for medical students who want to enhance their experience and offers:
- Integration of medicine and public health education
- Advanced training in public health
- Expanded expertise in community and global health
- Hands-on experience applying public health to a clinical practice
About the Program
The five-year MD/MPH requires 42 credits in the public health area.
Students will take one year off between the third and fourth year of medical school to complete 26 MPH credits, including a practicum and a capstone.
The remaining 16 credits will be transferred from the MD program.
The MPH degree program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). The MD/MPH joint degree program is accredited as part of this existing unit of accreditation.
Upcoming Events in PHS
- Health Services and Behavioral Research Seminar: “The Impact of Integration on Outpatient Use and Spending in Medicare”
Dec 18, 2018
- Public Health Sciences Graduate Education: Winter Open House
Dec 18, 2018
- Epidemiology Seminar: “Women in Steady Exercise Research (WISER): latest results in exercise oncology”
Dec 19, 2018
- Create Your Career: Technology Transfer and Commercialization
Jan 11, 2019
- Lunch and Learn: LabLearner Info Session
Jan 14, 2019
More About Penn State College of Medicine
What's New in Public Health
Penn State College of Medicine strives to create the best culture of respect and inclusion for our students. A number of programs, services and facilities are available.
- Cognitive Skills Program
- Disability Services
- Harrell Health Sciences Library
- Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Office for a Respectful Learning Environment
- Simulation Center
- Student Health
- Student Mental Health and Counseling
Penn State College of Medicine offers housing in its University Manor East or University Manor West apartments to full-time students, residents, postdoctoral scholars and visiting scholars.
Life in Hershey, PA
Penn State College of Medicine is located in Hershey, Pa., home of HersheyPark, a family theme park, and The Hershey Co., one of the largest chocolate manufacturers in the world. It's also home to diverse and delicious dining experiences, sports, concerts and entertainment.