Dermatology at Penn State College of Medicine
The Department of Dermatology at Penn State College of Medicine has a four-part mission:
- Providing patients with the best dermatologic care available
- Educating medical students, physicians and the public about dermatology
- Performing research into the causes and treatment of dermatologic diseases
- Contributing to the community through service
Welcome to Penn State Health and Penn State College of Medicine's Department of Dermatology.
Our team is committed to providing safe, high quality care so our patients have better health outcomes.
We are committed to earning the trust of our patients by meeting patients where they are – their language, beliefs, attitudes, behaviors and life experiences matter.
We strive to build a team comprising the nation’s top dermatologists and well-trained advanced practice professionals, collaborating together to deliver the right care for the right patient.
We translate our research findings into leading-edge care for a variety of skin diseases, like melanoma, acne, autoimmune disorders, birthmarks and hidradenitis suppurativa.
We train the next generation of dermatologists and scientists by providing a top-notch education.
And we educate our communities about skin cancer prevention and overall skin and hair health.
Thank you for learning more about who we are and what we do.
Jeffrey Miller, MD, MBA
Associate Dean for Administration, Penn State College of Medicine
Professor and Chair, Department of Dermatology
More about Dermatology @ Penn State
Education in the Department of Dermatology
The Department of Dermatology serves a spectrum of learners, ranging from patients, physicians and staff as lifelong learners, to students, residents and fellows.
Education is crucial to the practice of medicine and contributes to high-quality patient outcomes and innovation, leading to better care and value.
Students and residents learn from and with departmental providers and patients during rotations in a variety of clinical locations. Residents and fellows benefit from accessible attendings, excellent instruction, leading-edge technology and a competency-based curriculum - all rooted in a collegial program and community.
A number of opportunities are available for medical students as well, including clerkships, acting internships and electives.
To learn more about educational programs in dermatology, call 717-531-8307.
Research in the Department of Dermatology
The basic and translational science research teams at Penn State Dermatology are using leading-edge technologies to understand both normal skin biology and a number of inflammatory and autoimmune skin diseases.
Within the department's laboratories, investigators use a variety of model systems, including human patient samples, to discover the mechanisms underlying disease development and identify novel biological targets for future therapies.
Researchers work closely with clinical colleagues, bioinformaticians and other researchers to provide a multidisciplinary team approach to combating skin diseases.
Clinical Care in the Department of Dermatology
The Department of Dermatology specializes and cares for patients with all types of skin, hair and nail disorders.
The department's team of physicians specializes in pediatric, adult, surgical and pathological aspects of skin disease. The team provides numerous sub-specialty services, including patch testing, occupational dermatology, dermatopathology, cosmetic dermatology and Mohs surgery, as well as many others.
Explore Programs in Dermatology
- For medical students: Clerkships, acting internships and electives
- Continuing education: Credits are offered for various programs such as Dermatology Grand Rounds and programs such as Dermatology State-of-the-Art Issues.
- Residency (ACGME-approved)
- Fellowships (ACGME-approved)
- Advanced practice fellowship (non-ACGME)
Services and Affiliations
- Adult dermatology
- Eczema care
- Esteem Penn State Health Cosmetic Associates
- Hidradenitis suppurativa care
- Melanoma care at Penn State Cancer Institute
- Pediatric dermatology at Penn State Health Children's Hospital
- Pediatric skin disorder and acne care
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Psoriasis care
- Skin cancer treatment at Penn State Cancer Institute
- Squamous cell skin cancer treatment at Penn State Cancer Institute
- Support groups for melanoma and hydradenitis suppurativa (HS)