Resources for Postdocs
As a postdoctoral scholar or fellow at Penn State College of Medicine, you’ll have access to a variety of useful resources to help make your experience successful and rewarding.
You can also make an impact in the postdoctoral community at the College of Medicine by participating in the Penn State College of Medicine Postdoctoral Society.
The Postdoctoral Society works with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs to represent all postdoctoral issues to the university administration. The society exists by and for the postdocs.
The society organizes social events throughout the year, including the annual postdoctoral research symposium, Data & Dine.
The society is always looking for new and motivated members to make the experience more enjoyable and represent the Penn State College of Medicine postdoc population.
The Penn State College of Medicine Postdoctoral Society's 2016-17 Executive Council members are:
- President: Dani Kim, Heart and Vascular Institute
- Secretary: Sophia Allen, Public Health Sciences
- Treasurer: Sathi Babu Chodisetti, Microbiology and Immunology
- Social Events: Saketh Dinavahi, Pharmacology
- Society Representative: Sreejata Chatterjee, Microbiology and Immunology
Individual Development Plans
An individual development plan (IDP) is a way to create a general roadmap for your career. The IDP process gives you the opportunity to identify your unique set of skills and strengths along with your areas for improvement and development as a scientist, and is a way to clearly communicate your long-term career goals with your mentor.
A yearly IDP is required of all postdoctoral trainees at the Penn State College of Medicine.
The myIDP website is an online tool from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) that helps postdocs identify their unique interests, abilities, and values.
- A list of 20 scientific careers with a prediction of which ones are right for you
- A tool to help you with strategic goal setting, with the option to set reminders
- Articles and resources to guide you through the IDP process