Developing, recommending and promoting initiatives across the University to advance health sciences education, research, service and outreach.
Welcome to our University Health Sciences Council website, your comprehensive gateway to Penn State’s many diverse biomedical and life sciences endeavors. More...
The University Health Sciences Council initiated the first phase of its work to develop a Health Sciences Strategic Plan. There was broad consensus that the council should develop major themes and then build the vision, mission and strategic goals around these themes.
The council developed five themes around which we are organizing faculty focus groups to more fully determine the feasibility of development of the themes in the context of the three missions of teaching, research and clinical care/service. The thematic areas are:
- Rural Health
- Global Health
- Health Informatics and Prevention
- Environmental Health (to include, biological and chemical factors, as well as, natural resource impacts – air quality, access to clean water and water sanitation, and energy resources)
Louise Sandmeyer and Mike Dooris from the Office of Planning and Institutional Assessment will be conducting the focus group meetings in mid June. Please direct questions to Deirdre C. Weaver at email@example.com.
Penn State President Graham B. Spanier announced the formation of the University Health Sciences Council in October 2006. The council, which will build on the work of the Health Sciences 2020 team, will:
- Develop a health sciences strategic plan for Penn State with measurable goals and objectives which identifies necessary steps, responsible individuals and specific timelines.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance the University in its health sciences education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for alignment of campuses, colleges, schools, programs and institutes to create new synergies for Penn State to optimize the use of existing resources.
- Collect and disseminate information on health science programs that benchmarks Penn State against its peers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration at Penn State in the health sciences.
The Medical Minute: Genetic testing for breast cancer risk
Dr. Rena Kass, director of Penn State Hershey Breast Center, said actress Angelina Jolie’s announcement regarding her double mastectomy is great publicity that will raise awareness about the genetic component of many cancers.More...
CLIMB program puts families dealing with cancer first
Penn State Hershey is hosting another session of CLIMB: Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery. Developed by the Children’s Treehouse Foundation, this five-week program sponsored by Penn State Hershey Breast Center addresses the psychosocial aspects of cancer as they relate to the family unit.More...
Farmers Market in Hershey launches fourth season
On Thursday, May 23, the Farmers Market in Hershey will return for its fourth season with plenty of new offerings.More...
Penn State Hershey experts to present on IBD
In an effort to help patients living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis in central Pennsylvania, Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center experts, led by Dr. Walter Koltun, will host a patient symposium.More...