Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Cosmetic Fillers: Are They Right for You?
Attend a free open house on Wednesday, March 25 from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. at Penn State Hershey Medical Group - Camp Hill, 3025 Market Street, Entrance A. Watch a live demonstration and learn the facts about Restylane, a safe and natural cosmetic filler that delivers immediate results, including restored volume and fullness to the skin to correct facial wrinkles and folds. Meet Dr. Jessyka Lighthall who will explain the procedure step-by-step and answer questions. Light refreshments and a drawing for great discounts on cosmetic fillers. Reserve space for you and a friend today by calling 717-761-8900, option 5. or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Colorectal Cancer: A Matter of Facts on abc27
Colorectal cancer is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers in the United States - yet is preventable and often curable when detected early. On March 26, colorectal cancer specialists from Penn State Hershey are teaming up with abc27 to discuss treatment and prevention during a live program airing at 7:30 p.m. Call and talk one-on-one with doctors in the abc27 call center, and have your questions answered. Watch stories about patients and families in our community, and learn how they beat this disease.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Student’s CPR action helped give Penn State Hershey doctors time to provide care Milton Hershey School junior Randy Gibson never imagined he would use his CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) training. That was until last September, when a school houseparent collapsed in front of him.More...
- The Medical Minute: Many people with congenital heart disease living longer At one time, many children born with congenital heart disease (CHD) suffered from issues that carried fatal prognoses. That has changed, though, thanks to technological advancements.More...
- Penn State Hershey part of new report on pediatric cardiac surgery outcomes Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital is part of a first-of-its-kind report released today on pediatric and congenital heart surgery. The report on pediatric cardiac surgery outcomes is a first of its kind in Pennsylvania, and is the only statewide reporting effort like it in the nation.More...
- New program to promote and fund collaborative research at College of Medicine A new program to promote research collaborations and fund team research projects at Penn State Hershey kicks off on Feb. 26.More...