Welcome to Penn State Hershey Surgery
The Department of Surgery is recognized not only for its specialized patient care but also for its pioneering research, nationally recognized physicians, and advanced technology. As leaders in academic surgery, our mission is to provide the highest quality in clinical care, education, and research incorporating the latest in evidence based knowledge and techniques. Consisting of nearly 90 full time faculty members with specialties ranging from basic science research to advanced minimally invasive radioguided surgery, the Department continues to build on a proud tradition of excellence in patient focused care and research.
- The Department of Surgery's Endowed Professorships
- The Foundation of a Department: John A. Waldhausen, M.D.
- George Harrell Library (Surgery) - Internal Only
Best Doctors 2013
Screening and awareness contribute to fewer prostate cancer deaths
Fewer men are being diagnosed with and dying from prostate cancer these days. While that is due in part to widespread awareness and better treatment, it is also the result of more judicious screening. Learn more here from urologist Jay Raman, M.D.
- Advanced Robotic Surgery
- Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Melanoma Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Endocrinology
- Surgical Oncology
- Surgical Weight Loss (Gastric Bypass)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma - Acute Care & Critical Care Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
A department directory containing detailed information about our administrative support, administrative offices, specialty areas and the residencies and fellowships available is posted for downloading and printing.
If you seek information regarding the special interests of our physicians and the appropriate telephone number to use to contact them, please refer to our quick reference directory, also available for downloading and printing. We hope these overviews will be of help to you.
Since its establishment by Dr. John Waldhausen in 1969, the Department of Surgery has been dedicated to providing the highest quality surgical care possible. The Department consists of 11 clinical divisions and sections and two research divisions providing state of the art care and scholarly activity in all of the specialty disciplines. Together, they offer a wide range of high quality services and procedures to referring physicians and their patients using state of the art diagnostic procedures and surgical techniques. More...
- Lehigh Valley student delivers treats, Thanksgiving cheer to children's hospital Penn State Lehigh Valley freshman Michael Healy biked more than six hours from the Lehigh Valley campus to Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital to spread some Thanksgiving cheer.More...
- Red Land Little League champions donate $18,200 to Four Diamonds The Red Land Little League team that won the U.S. championship in the 2015 Little League World Series presented $18,200 to Four Diamonds at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. The players and their coaches delivered the check during a visit that also included activities — such as crafts, photos and autograph signings — with Four Diamonds patients and their families.More...
- Dinner raises more than $200,000 for Renaissance Scholarships Penn State's 39th annual Renaissance Fund dinner raised more than $200,000 to endow scholarships in honor of Steve Brown, the president and CEO of Mount Nittany Health and this year's Renaissance Fund honoree. Three hundred sixty-five guests attended the Nov. 19 dinner at The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel.More...
- The Medical Minute: Preparing children for surgery Getting ready to undergo a surgical procedure can be unsettling for adults — but especially so for a child who doesn't understand the concept. That’s why trained practitioners take special steps to prepare children for surgery.More...