Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute
Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute fosters collaboration among the neuroscience-related departments and divisions within Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine.
Our mission is to:
- Assure excellence in basic and clinical research studies that increase our understanding of the normal and diseased brain.
- Promote the translation of research findings into new treatments for neurological disease.
- Improve the care of patients with neurological and neurobehavioral diseases.
- Provide a rich intellectual environment that enhances the educational experience in all neuroscience disciplines.
Harbaugh Named SNS President-Elect
Dr. Robert Harbaugh, professor and chair of the Penn State Hershey Department of Neurosurgery and director of the Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute, has been chosen as president-elect of the Society of Neurological Surgeons (SNS). The SNS is the oldest neurological society in the world and includes leaders in neurosurgical residency education. Harbaugh also serves as president of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and as vice-chair of the American Board of Neurological Surgery. http://www.societyns.org/society/officers.html
Morrison receives Distinguished Achievement Award from AHA
Kathy Morrison, stroke program manager at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, has been presented with the American Heart Association, Great Rivers Affiliate 2014 Distinguished Achievement Award. More >>
- Medical Center receives national recognition for Advanced Stroke Care
- Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute Specialists named in Best Doctors® in America.
- Congratulations to graduate students Ahmed Alkhateeb (Ph.D. Program, Cell & Molecular Biology), Fatima Ali-Rahmani (Ph.D. Program, Molecular Medicine), and Cody Weston (M.D./Ph.D. Program, Neuroscience) on being awarded the Graduate Alumni Endowed Scholarship. Ali-Rahmani also received an alumni scholarship from the class of 1971. Earlier in 2012, Alkhateeb also received the Outstanding Dissertation award in Life Sciences - a Penn State wide competition. These awards, coupled with the CTSA scholarship that Xiaowei (Bill) Su won earlier in the year, represent the outstanding achievements of our neuroscience graduate students.
Deep Brain Stimulation
Experts and patients discuss brain tumor diagnosis, treatment and recovery
Stroke survivor stories
Patients and physicians discuss the latest treatments of back pain and spinal injuries
Discovering treatment options for essential tremor
Experts and patients discuss the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of carotid artery disease
Restless legs syndrome
- The symbol of our best: The Nittany Lion bonds all Penn Staters For the few students across Penn State's campuses who have had the privilege of donning the suit, being the Nittany Lion mascot means far more than leading cheers — it means leading a family.More...
- 2014 Eye School seminar set for Nov. 8 at Penn State Hershey The Penn State Hershey Eye Center presents Eye School 2014, a free community education event that introduces people of all ages to anatomy, diseases and surgery of the eye. The event will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, Nov. 8, at the University Conference Center on the Penn State Hershey campus.More...
- Program allows students to shadow and interact with health care professionals The new school year brings changes to the Pennsylvania Youth Apprenticeship Program (PYAP), a partnership of Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine, Lower Dauphin School District and Derry Township School District.More...
- Celebrate the spirit of innovation at Penn State Hershey on Oct. 29 Faculty, staff and students are invited to the fourth annual Penn State Hershey Innovation Awards ceremony hosted by the Office of the Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and the Office of Technology Development Penn State College of Medicine.More...