Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute
Heart disease is the leading cause of death of men and women in the United States. It is important to talk with your physician about your risk factors for developing cardiovascular disease and creating a plan to help decrease the risk factors that you can control. If you are not sure if you are at risk for developing cardiovascular disease, take our on-line risk assessment.
Experts Available for Educational Talks. Presentations on a wide range of cardiovascular topics are now available through our new outreach initiative. Whether it's a formal program awarding continuing education credit, or a more casual presentation to primary care physicians or community groups, our goal is to provide current information that is appropriate in any setting.
For comments or questions about the website please contact us at PSHVIweb@hmc.psu.edu
- Joint Commission recognizes Penn State Hershey as 'Top Performer'
- The Medical Minute: Are New Statin Guidelines Cause for Concern?
- What's So Bad About Trans Fats?
- Project Health: Tips for Lowering Sodium While Eating Out
- Project Health: Potential Signs of Atrial Fibrillation
- The Medical Minute: Pumps and Pacers—A heart device primer
- The Medical Minute: Heart Health Tips for Your Valentine
- The Medical Minute: A Simple Guide to Heart Healthy Eating
- The Heart and Vascular Progressive Care Unit at Penn State Hershey Medical Center has received a gold-level Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses. Learn More >>
- Best Doctors in America
- Penn State Health Heart Failure Program Receives Joint Commission Certification
Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute's (PSHVI) heart failure program has earned the Gold Seal of Approval™ for health care quality from The Joint Commission. Click to learn more
- Penn State Health Ventricular Assist Device Receives Joint Commission Certification
Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute's (PSHVI) has earned the Gold Seal of Approval™ for Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) from The Joint Commission.
View videos to learn more about Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute services, physicians, patients, and facilities.
Current videos include CPR technique demonstration, ECMO patient interviews, and the story of the first patient in Pennsylvania to go home with a total artificial heart.
- The Medical Minute: Good sun protection comes in many forms Just as most people know there is no such thing as safe smoking, there is also no such thing as safe sunbathing or tanning. Exposure to UVA and UVB rays can cause more than just a sunburn or tan – it can lead to everything from wrinkles to skin cancer.More...
- Type 2 diabetes drug trials unnecessarily exclude women While women who are pregnant, or breastfeeding or who may become pregnant are often excluded from clinical trials for type 2 diabetes drugs, the exclusion is frequently not based on the risk of fetal harm, according to Penn State College of Medicine researchers and may be contributing to the underrepresentation of women in clinical trials and an incomplete understanding of the effects of drugs on women who become pregnant unexpectedly.More...
- Transition underway to new University Technology Center A new data center providing centralized, secure space for patient, research and educational data from Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine is now online. Officials gathered May 4 to dedicate the 46,000-square-foot University Technology Center.More...
- Eta Chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha inducts 30 new members The Penn State Eta Chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha recently inducted 30 new members.More...