Non-Degree Students

If you do not intend to pursue a graduate degree or postbaccalaureate/graduate certificate or at this time, but want to take graduate-level courses for personal enrichment, professional development, or later want to apply for degree status, may seek admission as a nondegree student.  Nondegree students are not eligible to receive fellowships or graduate assistantships.  Preference for courses is given to degree students.  Programs may control access to some courses. 

Admission as a nondegree student does not guarantee admission to a graduate degree or certificate program.  A new application and a new application fee are required for a graduate nondegree student who later wishes to apply for a graduate degree or postbaccalaureate/graduate certrificate program.  Applicants choosing to enter Penn State as a graduate nondegree student must be aware that no more than 15 credits of course work accumulated in nondegree status may count toward a graduate degree. 

To enroll in College of Medicine graduate courses you must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited US institution (or equivalent degree from a non-US institution), and you must receive permission from the course instructor, who will determine if you have the appropriate background to be successful in the course.

Individuals interested in taking graduate courses as a nondegree student at the College of Medicine must: 

  • Complete a Penn State College of Medicine Nondergree Course Enrollment Form.

  • Complete a Penn State University Nondegree application. Please note, the nondegree application fee is non-refundable.  Apply here for nondegree admission. 


    ******   Please note, Hershey Medical Center Employees (Physicians, Residents, etc)   ******

                                *********   already have PSU ID numbers   ******

           **************   Please look on the back of your badge   ***************

  • For access to computers at the College of Medicine:  complete a Penn State Hershey Access Account Request Form - this will allow you to access computers and library services on campus.  These forms are available at the George T. Harrell Library front desk.  Complete section 3 and sign pages 1 and 2; submit completed form to Kathy Simon in C1712, Office of Graduate Student Affairs. 
  • If you do not have a PSU ID:
  • Contact for more information.
  • Returning Non-degree Students: 
  • If you were enrolled last semester, complete a Penn State College of Medicine Nondegree Course Enrollment Form.
  • If you had a lapse in your enrollment (excluding summer semesters), please complete a resume study form and submit to the office of Graduate Enrollment Services. Only after your form is received and your record reactivated by the University will you be able to enroll. This typically takes 5-7 working days after receipt of form.
  • Federal financial aid is not available for non-degree students. Additional information can be found on the Penn State Office of Student Aid website.