Welcome to Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute
Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute is committed to improving health through world-class patient care, research, community outreach, and education to prevent or successfully manage diabetes, obesity and related disorders by Reinventing Diabetes Care™ for the 21st Century. Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute is part of the University-wide Penn State Institute for Diabetes and Obesity, which includes clinical, applied, and basic scientists from multiple colleges and campuses across the University. Learn More...
Penn State Hershey Diabetes Playbook
Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute is focused on Reinventing Diabetes Care™. One of the ways we are reaching this goal is by hearing what our patients have to say. When our patients asked for an easy way to keep track of their diabetes care the Diabetes Playbook was made. Not only does the book offer tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, it offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day. The Diabetes Playbook is a Gold winner in the 24th Annual Healthcare Marketing Advertising Report Awards, recognized for its effective way of delivering its diabetes education message.
Click here to learn more about the Diabetes Playbook.
Check back here frequently to get the most up to date research, news, and happenings with the Diabetes Institute.
- Robert Gabbay, MD, PhD Research Focus - the Patient Centered Medical Home
- Latest Research Articles
- Robert Gabbay, MD, PhD Interviews with AJMC at the American Diabetes Association
Penn State Hershey and the Patient Centered Medical Home
All of Penn State Hershey Medical Group Primary Care Sites have received Patient Centered Medical Home certification from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) by adopting a new care model that aims to provide continuous and comprehensive care.
Dr. Robert Gabbay, MD, PhD, is currently working with over 20 adult primary care practices in Northwest and Southcentral Pennsylvania helping them to reach the same accreditation that our Medical Group practices have reached. Under the same grant funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Dr. Gabbay was chosen as one of four state nationally to begin laying the groundwork for a Primary Care Extension Service in order to support primary care practices in becoming Medical Homes.
To read the original press release, click here.
Feeling Stressed & Overweight?
Penn State Milton S. Hershey researchers are trying to determine the effect that stress reduction will have on blood pressure, blood sugar, and overall health in overweight women.
If you are interested in participating in this study, please contact Barb Scheetz, B.S., at 717-531-4483.
Nazia Raja-Khan, M.D., Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism is the PI for this study.
The Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute encourages clinicians caring for patients with diabetes and obesity to make use of and share the following resources in the PSHDI's toolkit:
- PA SPREAD is building a Primary Care Extension Service to help support Patient Centered Medical Home Transformation in primary care practices. Tools and resources are available to all for this transformation.
- Diabetes Care published the American Diabetes Association's additions to the standards of medical care in diabetes in January 2012.
- Integrated Blood Pressure Control published Evidence -based approach for managing hypertension in type 2 diabetes in May 2010 to be used as guidelines while managing blood pressure.
- New Guidelines for managing elevated blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes (algorithms for better glucose control).
- Diabetes Playbook is a patient-centered resource which helps patients keep track of their diabetes care. The book offers tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, as well as offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day.
- Medication Card is a form that your patients may use to keep track of their medications.
- Body Mass Index Calculator to help you quickly calculate your patient's BMI.
- Health Information Library is a service of the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. This easily searchable e-library provides current information on a host of health-related topics.
- Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute Patient Resources provides links to web-based information and resources for specifically for patients managing diabetes and striving for healthy weight management.
- Obesity in America provides general information about understanding obesity, combating obesity, and statistics about obesity in America.
- The Medical Minute: Genetic testing for breast cancer risk Dr. Rena Kass, director of Penn State Hershey Breast Center, said actress Angelina Jolie’s announcement regarding her double mastectomy is great publicity that will raise awareness about the genetic component of many cancers.More...
- CLIMB program puts families dealing with cancer first Penn State Hershey is hosting another session of CLIMB: Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery. Developed by the Children’s Treehouse Foundation, this five-week program sponsored by Penn State Hershey Breast Center addresses the psychosocial aspects of cancer as they relate to the family unit.More...
- Farmers Market in Hershey launches fourth season On Thursday, May 23, the Farmers Market in Hershey will return for its fourth season with plenty of new offerings.More...
- Penn State Hershey experts to present on IBD In an effort to help patients living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis in central Pennsylvania, Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center experts, led by Dr. Walter Koltun, will host a patient symposium.More...