Research Funding Opportunities
External Funding Opportunities
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
AHRQ funds research to improve the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of health care, including comparative effectiveness research.
- Department of Energy
A leading science and technology agency whose research supports our nation's energy security, national security, environmental quality.
- Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) Agencies
Funding groups under the Department of Health and Human Services
- Health Research Services Administration
HRSA funds projects that improve or expand health care services for underserved people, with a focus on primary health, rural health, maternal and child health, and healthcare system.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
One of the world's foremost biomedical research centers, and the Federal focal point for biomedical research in the U.S.
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
An independent U.S. government agency responsible for promoting science and engineering through programs that invest over $3.3 billion per year in almost 20,000 research and education projects in science and engineering.
- Office of Naval Research
Coordinates, executes, and promotes the science and technology programs of the United States Navy and Marine Corps through universities, government laboratories, and nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
Non Federal Sponsors
- American Cancer Society
Offers a variety of research grants and fellowships.
- American Diabetes Association
Several research grant options available, including scholar awards and mentor-based fellowships.
- American Federation for Aging Research
Includes eleven grants and fellowships, some in combination with other sponsors.
- American Heart Association - National
Several grants available, including a minority scientist development award.
- American Heart Association Great Rivers Affiliate
- American Heart Association - New England Affiliate
Offers grant-in-aid and fellowship programs.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association
Offers 4 grant programs.
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
Offers numerous grants and fellowships in various areas.
- Cancer Research Institute
Offers a variety of grant opportunities, including predoctoral and postdoctoral fellowship support.
- CaP Cure
Grant opportunities in the field of prostate cancer research.
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Research grants and fellowships available.
- Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Fund
Offers a Scholar Award and a Fellowship.
- Doris Duke
Offers a Clinical Scientist Development Award and a Distinguished Clinical Scientist Award.
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is primarily interested in funding basic medical research areas which have direct and immediate relevance to pediatric HIV/AIDS. Their programs include the following: Elizabeth Glaser Scientist Award, Basic Research Grants, Scholar Awards, Short-Term Scientific Awards, Emergency Assistance and Student Intern Awards.
- The Foundation Fighting Blindness
Offers collaborative, individual, career and young investigator awards.
- Helen Hay Whitney Foundation
Fellowships available in all basic biomedical sciences.
- Hereditary Disease Foundation
Program includes research grants, John J. Wasmuth postdoctoral fellowships, Milton Wexler postdoctoral fellowships and the Lieberman Award to find a cause and cure for Huntington's Disease.
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Several funding opportunities to choose from, including a variety of fellowships offered in predoctoral, postdoctoral, international and graduate student programs.
- Human Frontier Science Program
Offers research grants and fellowships promoting international collaboration.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
Funding opportunities to study type I diabetes treatment and complications.
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Supports basic and clinical research, fellowships, and workshops.
- MacArthur Foundation
Provides unrestricted fellowships to exceptionally talented and promising individuals who have shown evidence of originality, dedication to creative pursuits, and capacity for self-direction.
- The Medical Foundation (Charles A. King Trust)
Five programs support various funding initiatives in New England aimed at researchers with varying levels of experience, including fellowships.
- National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression
Support scientists conducting basic research, clinical research, or a combination of both, in neurobiology. NARSAD's three grant programs include a Young Investigator Award, an Independent Investigator Award and a Distinguished Investigator Award.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Supports research to improve health and health care in America.