University Health Sciences Council
University Health Sciences Council
Promoting Initiatives that Advance Health Sciences Education, Research, Service and Outreach across Penn State University
Penn State University’s Health Sciences Council (UHSC) guides the strategic vision of the diverse biomedical and life science endeavors at the institution.
The UHSC comprises a diverse group of leaders representing all aspects of the health sciences at the University, and is responsible to:
- Develop the health sciences strategic plan and set objectives to accomplish goals outlined.
- Recommend areas for investment of resources to advance Penn State in health science education, research, service and outreach missions.
- Identify opportunities for alignment across campuses and facilitate collaboration.
- Serve as a resource for all health science programs and initiatives across campuses and disseminate the information broadly.
The UHSC serves as the internal advisory board to the Clinical + Translational Science Institute (CTSI) at Penn State. The CTSI, a cross campus institute, serves as a catalyst for the clinical and translational sciences at the Institution. As a member of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Network (UL1 TR00127), the CTSI provides resources, collaboration opportunities, services, workforce development, educational programs and research tools to help translate research findings into tangible health benefits that improve the lives of those in the Commonwealth and beyond.
Current UHSC Initiatives
Over the next five years, Penn State will harness its formidable set of health-related resources to position itself to be a leader in personalized health, defined as physical, psychological and behavioral health. At the centerpiece of this vision, is understanding individuals in all their complexity, and the social contexts and physical environments in which they live and work, and leveraging that new knowledge to create innovative programs, policies, products and practice for research, education, outreach and patient care that will improve health and well-being.
- Become a leader in interdisciplinary research on personalized health.
- Creative innovative, interdisciplinary and inter-professional graduate and post-graduate programs that focus on personalized health.
- Increase Penn State’s engagement as a partner across the Commonwealth in improving the health of Pennsylvanians.
- Develop an innovative, multi-pronged, University-wide public health campaign to encourage faculty, staff and students to focus proactively on their own health and wellness.
Gather Faculty Around Themes
The UHSC facilitates strong relationships at all levels between the campuses engaged in health science research, teaching and outreach to identify convergence among dispersed faculty, programs and capital resources dedicated to health sciences research.
The UHSC continuously reviews data highlighting the organizational health and that of other Big 10 universities. The initial benchmarking review took place in July 2007. The Health Sciences 2020 Team completed a benchmarking report that documented the existing Health Sciences Educational Program at Penn State.
Contact the UHSC
If you have any questions related to the University Health Sciences Council, please contact:
Penn State College of Medicine
Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Office of the Dean, H162
500 University Drive, P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033-0850