How Do I Apply to the Neuroscience PhD Program?
Penn State College of Medicine’s Neuroscience PhD Program follows the application process for The Graduate School at Penn State.
All students must submit an application through The Graduate School.
Before applying, please be sure to read The Graduate School's admission requirements.
To be considered for admission, you must have an appropriate academic background, including a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) during the last two years (junior/senior) of a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university.
Your degree should be in a biological, physical or behavioral science, and you should have taken courses in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Neuroscience courses are desirable but not essential. Research experience is an advantage.
A complete application through The Graduate School should include:
- Completed application form
- Payment of the application fee
- Copies of official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended, uploaded by the student
- Official GRE general test scores - School Code 2660 and Department Code 0213 - sent directly from the testing agency
- Personal statement of motivations and goals
- 3 letters of recommendation, uploaded through online application system by person writing the reference
- TOEFL or IELTS score (if applicable; for applicants for whom English is not their first language) - School Code 2660 and Department Code 30 - sent directly from the testing agency
- Resume or curriculum vitae
Applications must be received by Dec. 15 for consideration for matriculation for the following fall semester.
Qualified applicants generally will be requested to visit Penn State for an interview prior to acceptance decisions.