How Do I Apply to the MD/PhD Program?
To apply for Penn State College of Medicine’s MD/PhD Program, you’ll need to submit two applications:
- An application through AMCAS (choose “Combined Medical Degree/PhD” as the program choice)
- A secondary application for the College of Medicine
After you’ve submitted your AMCAS application, you’ll receive an email from Penn State with a link to the secondary application, to be completed and submitted online.
What are the Application Requirements?
To complete the AMCAS and secondary applications, you’ll need:
- $160 AMCAS application fee
- $80 secondary application fee
- Letters of recommendation to be submitted directly to AMCAS
- Letters of support for your secondary application
- Official transcript(s) from each school you attended after high school
- MCAT scores
- AMCAS application deadline is November 15.
- Secondary applications must be completed by January 15.
When are Interviews?
Applicants judged to be most qualified for admission are invited for an interview. We invite students on an as-needed basis, so we recommend you submit your application early.
If you’re selected for an interview, you’ll be invited to the College of Medicine on selected MD/PhD interview days. College interviews are carried out by faculty who are members of or affiliated with the MD/PhD Program.
Our goal during your visit is to have you gain a better understanding of our program, campus, and the Hershey area. We’ll also learn more about your interest in obtaining both degrees and about your research experience.
Interviews will be two days in length:
- Sunday: You’ll arrive in the afternoon, be given a tour of Hershey, and have dinner with students.
- Monday: You’ll interview with faculty, have lunch and listen to an oral research talk from an MD/PhD student, and take a tour of the campus.
Interview dates for the 2016-17 academic year will be:
- Sept. 12, 2016
- Oct. 3, 2016
- Nov. 7, 2016
- Dec. 17, 2016
- Jan. 16, 2017
When are Decisions Made?
Offers of admission to the program are made on a rolling basis. Applicants are usually contacted two to three weeks after the interview to inform them of their status. We normally admit four to six students per year.
Second Look Day
Second Look Day, open to applicants admitted into the MD/PhD Program, provides the opportunity to learn about student life in greater depth than was possible during the interview day. It’s usually held the first weekend in April.
You’ll have the chance to meet with faculty with whom you might be interested in doing research, get to know with current students, and explore housing options. The MD/PhD Program will pay up to $500 toward travel and hotel expenses for the Second Look Day.
If you have questions about the MD/PhD Program, please contact us at 717-531-1188 or firstname.lastname@example.org.